Tuesday, April 21, 2020

How far is my home baba, how far is my home

Twelve year old migrant girl Jeeta Makdama (who died today) to her father while traversing 250 km long distance to her home from Telangana to Chhattisgarh barefoot sans any lift, food, sleep or water (This is just a raw expression of my heart, not a poem. Have written it but not composed it that way.)




It seems like I have been walking all my life
Just a few miles away you have been telling me throughout
It has been three days and three nights at a stretch
That I have been walking sans any food, sleep or water
I guess some punishment is being meted out to me
Have I not behaved well or troubled you so much
That this kind of treatment is being accorded to me
I swear I shall never ever trouble you again
How far is my home baba, how far is my home

I have been picking chilies from the Deccan farms in my tender age
Why am I being subjected to such a ruthless pain
Why are we being herded and hounded like cattle
I relinquished my toys, I abandoned my childhood
Since you said that we all have to work to make our both ends meet
I never complained but rendered full support to you
I buried my childhood and innocence in those southern chilly fields
But this endless walk is tearing me down through my soul
How far is my home baba, how far is my home

My feet and legs have started giving up
My throat is sore and dry as if thirsty since ages
My stomach is burning as if hungry since birth
My head is heavy as if about to burst
My back is aching like never before
My weary eyes are longing to have a glimpse of my shanty home
Once I reach there I shall never leave again
Even if you beat me to death or leave me alone
How far is my home baba, how far is my home

This rag sack on my head is burying me beneath
It feels I am carrying the burden of my being
Why doesn't anyone around care a fig about us
Why aren't our rulers doing anything to save us
Are we so worthless creatures on the face of this earth
Don't we deserve to live a dignified life
Bury me near my home if I don't survive
Don't raise a tombstone for anyone to grieve
How far is my home baba, how far is my home

Dr. Geer M. Ishaq



Note: Pictures shown in the post are only representational, not the actual ones

No comments:

Post a Comment